Sunday, November 18, 2012

Shots of Chocolate



         Red wine use to be my boyfriend; he was very obedient. I would keep him anywhere I wanted to and pull him out for a visit whenever I chose to. He was bittersweet, full of calories, and physiological turmoil. It was a dysfunctional relationship, it needed some serious mourning. I needed a sufficient replacement for that unfulfilled high I so craved, it was inevitable and overdue.
           
          And so my sobriety began, with chocolate ice cream, and, well, basically anything chocolate. I would take it to bed with me, that delicious half gallon, a pleasure to cuddle. Regardless of calories, I was staying sober, even if it meant gaining weight. I could hear my nurse practitioner in the back of my head saying “moment on the lips, years on the hips,” it didn't matter, it was my tongue that would enjoy the moment anyway, not my lips. I craved sweets and carbohydrate during every waking hour, and kept Reese’s next to my bed for 3 am, my midnight snack. 

        I had not experienced cravings of such since I was pregnant, which was 19 years ago and it was the longest I had stayed sober until now. I knew that scale was hitting the high end of double digits and I was prepared (gallon of skim milk). It was a trade off; I would full fill my need with another vise, this time one that ultimately would not land me in the drunk tank or a with a DUI. It was a wiser choice that eventually landed me at the gym, 30 lbs heavier, but I was sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment